You have probably heard that Google have bought out a new tool, that is supposed to get rid of any BAD links pointing to your site. Now I get the reasons for it both from a webmasters point of view and Googles point of view. When and Panda and Peguin hit, Google were hit with reconsideration request after reconsideration request. However, that was not the worst of it for them, they ended up having documents, letters and emails with link removal requests in all kinds of formats, from Spreadsheets through to lists on paper sent in the mail. It was an administrative nightmare for them.
Below is an extract and some more links to some discussions about this tool…
Many SEOs cheered that Google’s new disavow links tool would make it easier to recover from a bad backlink profile. No more worrying about directories charging to remove links or trying to get out of bad link networks. But Google says it does want to see a good faith effort to go along with any disavow links request, or those disavow requests might not get honored.
Google: Try To Remove Links
Google had previously suggested that the disavow link tool wasn’t a replacement for making link removal requests. From the company’s blog post, the day the tool launched:
We recommend that you remove from the web as many spammy or low-quality links to your site as possible. This is the best approach because it addresses the problem at the root. By removing the bad links directly, you’re helping to prevent Google (and other search engines) from taking action again in the future….
If you’ve done as much as you can to remove the problematic links, and there are still some links you just can’t seem to get down, that’s a good time to visit our new Disavow links page….
- It’s Apparently Not Out Of The Question That Google’s Link Disavow Tool Could … – WebProNews
- 6 Things To Think About Before Disavowing Links – Search Engine Land
- You May Be Waiting Months To See Effects From Google’s Link Disavow Tool – WebProNews
- Google, Penalties & the Disavow Links Tool: The Big Game Theory – Search Engine Watch
So for an internet marketing and SEO company based in Birmingham what do we think?
Well, my first suggestion is to try and get rid of bad links that you think may be effecting your rankings before even consdfering the tool. I really do think that this is another way for businesses to tell Google that they have been naughty and in the long run, get a black mark put against their names, businesses and sites. Google are openly saying that it is going to take weeks before these links will be removed from your linking profile, and there is no guarantee that rankings will improve. 2 things therefore remain important:
- Get bad links removed yourselves, only if you are 100% confident they are hurting your rankings
- Concentrate on good links and BRANDING = your naked URL with hyperlinked and not hyperlinked (clickable and not clickable), mentions of your Business Name as well as the links being your Business Name.
- A 3rd one for good measure ->GET SOCIAL. The average 19 year now drops more links in a year in their social media accounts than any webmaster could ever hope to build for SEO. This is the way it is going folks, and a lot quicker than tradditional SEOs are letting themselves except…
If you have any questions do not hesitate to contact us.
We are now also offering awesome and affordable website design here in Birmingham.